Welcome to Culture Palette!

Thanks for visiting my blog! This blog was created with hopes that it can be a hub of sorts for people to connect and share their cultural experiences/knowledge and how it relates to the business world.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Case #1- Bowing

So heres a pretty common area of uncertainty i run into quite often in professional environments. As an Asian, i grew up with the tendency of referring to my superiors as Sir/ Ma'am and bowing as a form of greeting/ acknowledgement/ respect. However, coming into LA, i realize more and more that people don't want to be called sirs and maams. My supervisor in my previous work told me to simply call him by his first name!! And whats more is that the more i bow, the more uneasy they seem to become...thats almost unheard of from where i used to be (Thailand, China).

4 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLJRzuodKo
    your posts remind me of this lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey robert it seems like the habits started to rub off on you too tho huh? but your Asian superiors seem to like you that way huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea ever since i met u i start to bow alot too. but my elder likes it. they think that i become a very polite kids LOL

    ReplyDelete